Wednesday 25 May 2011

Transfers, Angela de la Cruz at Lisson Gallery until 30 April 2011

Compressed (cream)2011 Oil on aluminum 122 x 70 x 56 cm

There is somethings about Angela de la Cruz's work that I really like. The main reason might be that, like me, she uses her own personal experiences to create row and fiercely emotive artwork, also her use of bold colours in  the destroyed canvases she presented when shortlisted in this year Turner Prize were very graphical and aesthetically beautiful.

I am not sure whether I like this artist for the mere fact that she is Spanish and had achieved so much in current contemporary art in this country or because I really like her work. Either way she has inspired me this year and has set new goals for me to achieve. Her work is fun but aggressive at the same time, raw but methodical in the way it has been created and later on destroyed.

I read in the title of this show "Transfers" as the period  when she had a stroke and left her in a wheel chair. Transferring her from the bed to the wheel chair, from the wheel chair to the bath and so on... 

Angela de la Cruz, Transfer (ivory), 2011
I particularly like this work called Transfer (Ivory), for me represents the artist sited in a sofa with her lower body parts paralysed resting her legs on a chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment